Roasted Eggplant Wedges with Herbed Pistachio Millet
for the quick pickled red onion
- half of a red onion – thinly sliced
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
for the herbed pistachio millet
- 1 cup millet – soaked in purified water w/ a splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tab neutral coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp turmeric – fresh or ground??
- sea salt – to taste
- 1 cup mixed chopped herbs like dill, parsley, cilantro, basil, mint
- ⅓ cup pistachios – chopped (or try peanuts)
for the eggplant wedges
- 2 medium eggplants – sliced into wedges
- 1 Tab coconut oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- za’atar – or use ground thyme
for the tahini sauce
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon sriracha or Tabasco (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup purified water
to make the quick pickled red onion
- Place the sliced onion in a small bowl and generously drizzle it with apple cider vinegar. Add the coconut sugar, if using, and toss to coat. Let marinate while cooking the millet and roasting the eggplants.
to make the herbed pistachio millet
- Drain the millet and thoroughly rinse it in a strainer.
- Warm the oil over medium heat in a medium pot, add cumin seeds and toast for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add turmeric and stir it around for a minute. Add the millet and toast, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups of purified water and salt. Increase the heat to a medium high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the millet for 15-20 minutes, covered, but stirring occasionally. Let the millet cool a bit and stir in the herbs and pistachios.
to roast the eggplant wedges
- Preheat oven to 200° C. Prepare a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Place the eggplant on a the baking sheet. Drizzle with the coconut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix to coat.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then flip the wedges and roast for another 15 minutes until soft and golden on both sides. Let cool a bit and sprinkle with za’atar when serving.
to make the tahini sauce
- Combine the tahini, maple syrup, sriracha (if using), salt and lemon juice in a small bowl, mix until smooth. Add water gradually, while mixing, until you achieve a smooth sauce consistency.