- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cubed frozen mango – or pawpaw??
- 1 fennel bulb – roughly chopped (use the green fronds, too)
- 1-inch piece ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- handful fresh mint leaves (optional)
- ½ – ¾ cup raw coconut water – depends on the kind of consistency you like, I used ½ cup for a creamy, spoonable smoothie
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Adjust the amount of liquid if needed. Garnish with fennel fronds and mint leaves.
The millet polenta ‘crust’ is topped with a quick kale pesto then a mound of everything bright, fresh and springy – asparagus ribbons and tips, a ton of fresh greens and microgreens.
Serves: one 9-10 inch pizza
for the crust:
1 cup millet – soaked in purified water overnight
1 Tab ghee or neutral coconut oil, plus more for oiling the skillet
juice of 1 lemon
3 cups warm vegetable broth
1 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup ground flax seeds
½ cup almonds – soaked in purified water overnight
1 garlic clove
about 3 cups roughly chopped kale
juice of ½ lemon
½ cup olive oil
1 bunch asparagus
freshly ground black pepper
neutral coconut oil or olive oil for drizzling
fresh salad greens
hemp hearts (de-hulled seeds)
1. Drain & rinse the millet, place into food processor. Grind until partially broken down.
2. In medium saucepan warm up the ghee/oil over medium heat. Add millet, stir to coat.
3. Add lemon juice and stir until absorbed; for about 30 seconds.
Add the broth, salt, garlic powder & black pepper, and bring to a boil while stirring.
4. Lower the heat & simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in the flax and simmer another 10 mins until creamy. Stir frequently to prevent clumping.
5. Oil a 9-10-inch cast iron skillet or another heavy bottomed oven-proof pan. Evenly spread the millet over the bottom to make the crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let set.
to make the pesto
1. Drain & rinse the almonds, optionally slip them out of their skins and rinse again. Add the almonds, garlic and salt to a food processor and grind into rice-sized pieces.
2. Add the kale & lemon and grind into pesto. With the motor still running, slowly add in the oil through the funnel.
to make the pizza
1. Preheat oven to 230° C. Bake millet crust for 20 minutes.
2. Cut off tough ends of asparagus sprigs, discard them. Shave sprigs into ribbons with a veggie peeler. Reserve the leftover, unshaved parts and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
3. Remove crust from the oven, evenly spread the kale pesto over it (maybe leftovers).
Pile the asparagus ribbons & pieces on top of the pesto. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, drizzle with oil and place under the broiler, on the low setting, for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven, cool slightly before topping with greens & microgreens, if using. Optionally, garnish with nutritional yeast and hemp hearts, slice and serve.