Peel and core apples.
Take 24 ginger snaps (1 3/4 cups crumbs), mash on some waxed paper with a rolling pin.
Add 2 cups finely crushed other biscuits (cinnamon crisps, NicMariee, or Coffee Time).
Mix crumbs with 3/4 cup melted butter and plate around bottom and sides of a 9″ x 13″ buttered, ovenproof baking dish about 1.5″ deep.
Slice apples into wedges (12 cups) and put a solid layer over bottom of dish. Sprinkle more crumbs over apples then a little lemon juice and a little brown sugar and a little more butter.
Keep layering until apples finished. Add any left-over crumbs on top with a little more brown sugar and butter.
Bake in a slow oven 300 degree F for 25-30 mins or until apples are cooked.
My guests always ask “are you sure there is no sugar or fat in this delicious dessert?”
5-6 apples, peeled, cored chopped
3 oz unsweetened frozen orange juice
1 Tab dry sherry
1 x 6 oz can frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
2/3 cup ripe bananas
1/2 cup muscat raisins, plumped 15 mins in hot water to cover
1.25 cups wholewheat pastry flour
1.25 cups unbleached white flour
1/4 cup soya flour
2 tsp low-sodium baking powder
2 tsp each of bicarb and cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup Grape-nuts
1. Marinate the apples in orange juice and sherry for 4 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine apples, apple juice concentrate, raisins & bananas. Sift dry ingredients into apple mixture.
3. Stir until flour disappears and then fold in egg whites & vanilla.
4. Pour into a non-stick bundt pan that has been sprinkled with Grape-nuts. Bake for 1.5 hours.
5. Cool and cover with glad wrap; let stand several hours or overnight before serving.
6. To serve: Place slices of torte on individual plates and serve each with a dollop of whipped nonfat milk.
75mg sodium per serve.