CHICKEN KAPAMA: GREEK-BRAISED CINNAMON CHICKEN
Chicken Kapama is a Greek classic! It’s basically a braised cinnamon chicken in a nice sauce that you can serve over pasta or rice for a great weeknight meal. YIELD: 4-5
- 1 x 2kg whole chicken
1 tsp grd cinnamon
salt & black pepper to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, grated
2 cinnamon sticks
794 g pureed tomatoes, unflavoured
2 Tabs tomato paste
½ – 1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
2-4 Tabs chopped fresh parsley
500g pasta, cooked al dente
½ cup grated Parmesan, for serving
Cut the chicken into about 10 pieces – wash & pat dry. Season both sides with cinnamon, s&p.
- Brown chicken (in 2-3 batches) over med-high heat – about 4 mins each side. Remove chicken.
- Reduce heat, cook onion 10 mins til very soft. Add garlic, stir til heated through.
- Add chicken & juices in, plus tomatoes, paste, cinnamon sticks, s&p, oregano & sugar – mix.
- Bring to boil, immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for one hour.
- Remove lid, increase heat to medium. Cook uncovered for additional 30 mins to thicken.
Taste the sauce and add more salt (and sugar if acidic) if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve over pasta and grated cheese.