Fragrant, healthy & light, a crunch Mediterranean filo strudel with honeyed roasted vege layers.
NOTE: this picture is not from the original website, which couldn't be copied. To look
at original picture go to https://www.pandespani.com/https://www.pandespani.com/
2-3 medium eggplant (sliced relatively thinly)
3-4 medium zucchini (ditto and longwise)
3 bell peppers - yellow, red & orange, cut into 4s (lengthwise?, remove seeds/stalks)
15-20 big basil leaves - more if smaller leaves
6 thin filo pastry sheets
80 ml Greek virgin olive oil
2 Tab dried oregano or thyme
1-2 tsp dried mint
4 T grated parmesan (can skip or use nutritional yeast)
1 cl garlic, finely chopped (opt)
1/2 tsp salt, pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, line baking tray with parchment paper, add half the vegies.
Brush with oil, season and bake 20 mins. Put on a plate, repeat with rest of vegies.
2. Stack the peppers together, cover with clingwrap to sweat 5 mins. Remove skin.
Lower temp to 190 degrees C and re-line cooled tray with more paper.
3. Grab 3 sheets filo, drizzle oil, cover rest with damp towel. In the centre, make a line of
eggplants, sprinkle with herbs and parmesan. Add a layer of zucchini (2 long halves fit side by side) & pinch of garlic (then
the bell peppers?). Finally, cover with basil leaves.
4. Fold 1 side of the filo sheets over vegies, add another layer of eggplant, herbs & parmesan
then wrap the roll. Take out 3 new filo sheets, moisten with olive oil and place the ready roll
in the centre. Put the peppers on it followed by the basil and another layer of remaining vegies
on top. Sprinkle with grated parmesan in between.
5. Turn the sides of the filo sheets inwards, brush the edges with olive oil & fold them to form an
elongated roll. With a sharp knife score 6-7 small vertical openings on the surface without cutting
through. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with water.
6. Bake in the preheated oven 190 degrees C (3rd rack from above-2nd from below) for 30 mins.
Filo should be golden brown and crunchy. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool 5-10 mins
7. Any strudel is served warm or at room temp. Cut it on the incisions using a sharp or serrated
knife. On plates, garnish with some cherry tomatoes and basil leaves or a light roast pepper sauce.
see alternative under Carbmanager in August