1 Tab olive oil
2 shallots,* very finely chopped (or 1 brown onion finely chopped)
4 large fresh tomatoes – peeled, seeds removed & finely chopped (or 1 can diced canned tomatoes)
1.5 Tabs (or 2) red wine vinegar
1 Tab br sugar (or 2 Tab maple syrup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice (or 1 tsp ground coriander seeds)
1 tsp (or pinch) dried chilli flakes, opt.
* suspect they are literal shallots as it’s a Coles recipe)
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Fry shallots 2-3 mins until they begin to soften. (or add the onions and ground coriander and cook for 2 minutes).Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to simmer and cook uncovered for 15-20 mins, stirring frequently, until thickened. Transfer to a sterilised glass jar or container.
- Seal & store in the glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (only 1 week with alternative ingredients).
1 tbs olive oil
½ brown onion, finely diced
can 420g no added salt lentils, drained & rinsed
680ml tomato passata
2 portions Bell Farms chopped spinach (150g)
2 free range eggs
300g smooth Ricotta
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp black pepper
200g instant lasagne sheets
100g sliced mushrooms
250g pumpkin, grated
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/3 cup tasty cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
2. Heat oil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add onions, cook for 2 mins until transluscent.
3. Add lentils, passata & spinach: cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl before folding in the ricotta, oregano & black pepper. Have the grated pumpkin and mushrooms ready for assembling the layers.
5. To assemble the lasagne, spread 4 Tabs of lentil mixture over the base of dish.
Layer instant lasagne sheets, then 1/3 of ricotta mixture, 1/3 of pumpkin, 1/3 of mushrooms and another layer of lentils (¼ of remaining amount). Repeat two more times with the lasagne sheets, pumpkin, ricotta mix, mushroom & lentils.
Top the final layer of lasagne with the remaining lentil sauce, torn basil and cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and cook for a further 15 minutes.