A buttery moist breakfast cake. But when are you going to eat it, breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner? It is incredibly delicious! You can make it with plums, peaches, apples or berries.
The cake is made up of two layers, a buttery cake and juicy plums. You can also add a cinnamon streusel topping and make it a three-layer breakfast cake. I did not add the streusel topping because I feel that it doesn’t need it.
- 500g plums, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup GF all-purpose flour blend, I used this one
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (do not add if your blend has xanthan gum already)
- 1 Tab. GF baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tab. coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, (dairy-free will also work), at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. GF ground cinnamon
cinnamon streusel topping. (optional)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- 1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans.
- 1/2 tsp. GF ground cinnamon?
- 3 Tab. Cold butter.
Combine sugar, flour, nuts and cinnamon. Add cold butter, and using your fingers mix until crumbly.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line an 8×12-inch baking pan with parchment paper
- Toss plum wedges with 2 Tbsp. coconut-sugar and cinnamon. Set aside for 15 minutes (releases juices so cake isn’t soggy)
- In a large bowl, combine flours, xanthan gum if using, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Add milk and vanilla and mix
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix to combine
- Spread the batter into prepared pan and evenly top with plums. Do not add the juices
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. Cool fully in the pan, then slice