ROASTED TURKEY LEGS
Tried this – sauce very nice but also burnt on pan bottom as I didn’t swap pans.
Needs at least 2 hours cooking. serves 3 (from whereismyspoon)
3 turkey drumsticks
paprika (I found Aust. spice pack great – has paprika & thyme plus some heat – Rod loved it)
450g smaller regular onions +
1 medium carrot +
3/4 c wine
1 c good chicken stock
1 heaped Tab honey
1 tsp dried thyme
other vegies – try brussel sprouts & other root vegies.
resting glass plate ready, baking dish and lid. Another roasting pan
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Dry turkey meat with paper towel. Sprinkle generously both sides with seasoning and paprika – rub in with your hands. Set aside.
2. Peel onions, cut into thicker wedges or quarters. Peel & slice carrot. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in large pan (that can take burnt base). Sear legs on both sides until nicely golden – about 2 mins each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add prepared vegies to pan, saute about 5 mins, stirring often.
5. Add wine, stock, honey, thyme and pinch of salt. Stir well. Place turkey on top of vegies skin side down first. Place lid on pan and roast meat in preheated oven for 1 hour.
6. Turn turkey over, return lid, continue roasting another 30-40 mins (needed!). Meat should be
really soft at this point. Leave oven on?
7. Remove dish from oven, lift out turkey from sauce and into a regular roasting tin and back into
oven until skin is nicely browned and crispy. Check after 4-5 mins already and make sure that skin
doesnt turn too dark.
8. Remove turkey from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest about 8-10 mins. Carve and serve.