Baked Spicy Lentil Cake (Handvo)
A popular Gujrati snack. This is a baked, spicy lentil cake made with rice and different lentils fermented batter mixed with spices. This is served with chutney. Handvo is crisp outside and soft inside. serves 8
- 1 cup rice – small grain
- 1/4 cup chana dal (split chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup urad dal** split with skin (**use mung beans or azuki beans instead)
- 1/4 cup toor dal*** (***use yellow lentils or any beans)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- About 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 1-2 green chilli adjust to taste
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida^ (use garlic or onion powder instead^ )
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup laucki* shredded (subs zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Eno fruit salt (contains bicarb, citric acid and salt or use baking powder
or whipped egg or cashew white perhaps
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida*
- 1 Tab sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon oil to grease the baking pan
- 8×8 baking pan (preferably glass)
TO FERMENT – or instead buy handvo flour already made up
- Wash and soak rice, chana dal, toor dal, and urad dal in about four cups of water for at least four hours.
- Drain the water and in a blender, or processor, blend the soaked rice & lentils, ginger & chilli to a lightly coarse texture (no water). Add yogurt, turmeric, salt, sugar and asafetida* and blend it again for few more seconds. Transfer the dal mix into a bowl and let the mix ferment for about 10 to 12 hours.
- Add the squash, 2 tablespoons of oil and lemon juice to the fermented dal mix – mix it well. Add ENO to the mixture and mix (this will make the handvo mix light & fluffy)
- Grease the 8×8 baking pan generously and pour the handvo mix into the greased pan.
Tap the pan; it will help to spread the mix evenly.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the batter.SEASONING –
- Heat the oil for seasoning in a small pan over medium heat – after oil is moderately hot, add the mustard seeds and asafetida*. As the mustard seeds crack, turn off the heat.
- Drizzle the seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place it on middle oven rack and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes until top of the handvo is light golden brown or until knife inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Let the handvo cool off for about 15 minutes. Cut into sixteen pieces and serve.* A ½ teaspoon of the asafetida powder can be substituted by 2-minced garlic gloves or 2/3 of a cup of minced onion. Tiny amounts of asafetida give a gentle lift to cheese dishes, egg, salad dressings and fish.