Indian Tapioca (Sago) Pudding
Sabudana kheer is a gourmet dessert. Kheer is lightly flavored with cardamom and saffron. This is easy recipe to make. serves 4
- 1/3 cup tapioca (sabudana, sago)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios
- Few strands of saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Wash and soak the tapioca in about 1/3 cups of water for at least two hour – sago will soak up most of the water and become light and fluffy.
- Boil the milk in heavy bottom pan after milk comes to boil let it boil for about another 8 to 10 minutes making sure stirring occasionally so milk does not burn in bottom of the pan.
- Add the tapioca, cook until soft and translucent – this should take about 4 minutes.
- Next add sugar, cardamom, pistachios, and saffron and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn off the heat. As kheer cools it will become a little thicker in consistency.
- Serve chilled or warm.