ORANGE AND CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
Chocolate marbled muffins are topped with chopped roasted almonds.
Rod and Derryn loved them! Makes 12
2c plain flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 c chopped toasted almonds*
1 beaten egg – room temperature
3/4 c orange juice
1/3c vegetable oil
1/4c unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp finely grated orange peel
1. Combine flour, sugar, BP & salt. Reserve 2T of the chopped almonds; stir the rest of the almonds into the drys.
2. In a separate bowl combine egg, OJ and oil. Stir this into the drys until all ingredients are moistened. Remove half of the batter to another bowl.
3. Stir cocoa into half of the batter, set aside. Stir orange peel into the remaining batter. Place paper liners in a 12-muffin pan.
4. Holding pan and tipping it to the side slightly, spoon in orange batter. Fill other side of muffin cups with chocolate batter. Sprinkle muffins with reserved chopped almonds.
5. Bake at 180 degrees FF for 20 mins. Serve warm.
* To toast almonds, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 160 degree FF oven,
stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 mins. Or toast in an ungreased skillet (shallow frypan) over med heat, stirring until golden brown and aromatic.
SUBSTITUTE RECIPES USE:
1. (“Dreamy..Ambitious kitchen). 1c chickpea flour and 1/2 cup fine almond flour with 2t BP plus 1 large orange and zest (1T), 2 large eggs, 1t V, 1/2t almond extract, 1/3c OJ (from 1 large orange), 1/4c nutmilk, 1T c.oil, 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus 2T to sprinkle. Use fingers to rub zest into sugar at least 30 sec to infuse.
2. 100 ml Natural or orange-flavoured Yoghurt, 2 Eggs, 140 g melted Butter. Whisk these three into the drys. Can add a handful of dried cranberries. Mix gently and not for long, or rubbery.
3. 250 g zucchini grated & squeezed, 2 eggs, 100 ml Natural Yogurt (no orange, just choc chips)
4. another recipe used similar quantities but made orange puree from 1 orange and added that.
5, 1c wholewheat and 1c spelt
Top original above with this sinful Chocolate Orange Buttercream recipe – it’s worth it! (I didn’t copy this https://hedgecombers.com/recipe cos it used both BP and bicarb – too much raising for me!) 2 oranges demerara sugar
- NOTE: they can be stored in an airtight cake tin for up to 3 days. The muffins can also be frozen for up to 3 months.