These make a great starter or party snack, but they can also be paired with a big green salad for a filling plant-based meal. A mix of veggies, oats & herbs make up the flavourful stuffing.
Top it off with some almond feta and you’ve got one delicious meal!
For the Stuffed Mushrooms:
- 12 small brown mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup of spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 Tabs water
- 1 Tab oregano
- 1 Tab coconut aminos
For the Almond Feta:
- 1 cup almond pulp leftover from homemade almond milk
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 4 Tabs lemon juice – DON’T ovedo
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme (optional)
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Gently wash, remove stems from mushrooms. Carefully carve out a portion of the inside of the mushroom just enough to make room for stuffing.
- Put mushrooms, smooth side on top, on a prepared baking sheet. Cook for 5 minutes.
To Make the Stuffing:
- In a small skillet, warm coconut oil & saute onions for 3 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Add garlic, salt & pepper and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- By now the mushroom caps should be ready to come out of the oven. Remove them from the oven, let cool a little bit. Flip the mushrooms, hollow side on top.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, oats & water to onion mixture – mix well, cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally mix in oregano & coconut aminos. Turn off heat.
- Spoon 2 Tabs filling into each mushroom cap, packing it as tightly as possible.
Bake 10 mins, until mushroom is tender to touch & fillings are lightly browned.
To Make the Feta:
- Put everything into a food processor (messy to clean up) and blend until smooth.
- Top each mushroom with a teaspoon of feta (or cook them after adding).