GF SHORTCRUST PASTRY (from Nigella)
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 80 millilitres ice-cold water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 365 grams GF flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
20cm/8inch in diameter pan or dishCut the butter into half centimetre/quarter inch cubes and put in a flat dish in the freezer for 15 mins and get on with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix the water, sour cream and vinegar in a jug or bowl.
- Tip the gluten-free flour, sugar, salt and xanthan gum into a food processor and blitz quickly to combine.
- When the butter’s had its 15 mins of fame in the freezer, add it to the flour mixture in the processor and give about 10 pulses, until the butter is the size of large peas.
- Pour in half the sour cream mixture and pulse till incorporated. 3 to 5 pulses should do it: the mixture will be crumbly and quite fine.
- Pour in the remaining sour cream mixture and process until the dough just begins to come together, clumping around the blades.
- Tip out the pastry/dough and form into two equal sized balls, and flatten each into discs, wrap in cling and put in the fridge for 40 minutes to rest. (If you wanted you could leave the pastry/dough here for up to 2 days). While the pastry’s/dough’s in the fridge, if you are proceeding to bake the pie straightaway, preheat the oven to 200°C/180ºC Fan/400°F.